Posts Tagged ‘california’

When would it be the best time of the year to start Flight Training in Southern California

June 8, 2010

El Monte Airport in Southern California is the BEST of the BEST when it comes to Pilot Training ALL YEAR LONG:

  • When you need nice calm clear visibility conditions, in the beginning of the training, you got it.
  • When you want to practice crosswind effects, you can get it.
  • If you want to go VMC, you got it.
  • If you want to go IMC, you can get it.
  • If you want Controlled airspace, you got it.
  • If you want Special Use / Other airspace, you can find it.
  • If you want Non-Controlled Airspace, you got it.
  • If you want Mountain, Valley, River, Ocean, Beach, Island, High Altitude, Low Altitude, Quiet Airspace, Busy Airspace, you can get it.

and more;

by editor

What does it take to get my Helicopter Add-on?

May 31, 2010

First of all, what is an “Add-On?”  Here’s a Quick Ref.

PILOT CERTIFICATES – Universal Air Academy Inc

  • Student Pilot
  • Sport Pilot
  • Recreational Pilot
  • Private Pilot
  • Commercial Pilot
  • Airline Transport Pilot(ATP)

Each Pilot Certificate has its own unique Privileges and Limitation. Most of the time you will hear the majority of the people who fly say, “the first license” is the “Private Pilot Certificate.”  There’s nothing wrong with that.  If I were to quickly explain about “pilot certification” to somebody, I’ll probably choose to say the same. However, technically, that’s not correct.  The “Student Pilot Certificate” would be the first pilot certificate that you pursue, get and earn. Then comes the rest.

Within the various types of pilot certificates, as you receive your ground and flight training with an authorized flight instructor, you get the privilege of flying an airplane based on a student pilot certificate, or for example, a helicopter based on a student pilot certificate.  In order to obtain and be able to exercise the privileges of a student pilot certificate, there are specific requirements that you have to meet and the Certified Flight Instructor, commonly known as a CFI, will guide your training so that it meets those requirements pertaining to the aircraft that you are going to be flying.  Email us if you would like to know the requirements for a specific aircraft.

If you want to get your Private Pilot Certificate, one of the requirements is to have a student pilot certificate.  Along with all the other  requirements, eventually, the CFI will guide you and sign you off to go on a “test”, commonly refered to as the “CHECKRIDE.”  This is where you will be checked to see if you meet all the requirements that you must have to obtain the pilot certificate that you are seeking, then have Knowledge Oral Examination, followed by a Flight Test.  Once you demonstrate your skills and decision-making and knowledge and found to be within the standards, you will be granted the Pilot Certificate.

So, what does everybody do with the Private Pilot Certificate that they get?  Well, some people store it. Some people fly on weekend just to enjoy the privilege that he/she earned.  Some people continue on with training for other Pilot Certificates and “category ” and “class” and “types.” 

This is where the term “ADD-ON” is used.  If you are already an airplane private pilot certificate holder and you want to become a holder of a helicopter pilot certificate, you will need to receive additional training to meet the requirements in the Regulation. Once you meet all the requirements and obtain a different category or class aircraft privilege, your pilot certificate will be replaced with an updated version and the list of different types and ratings that you have will increase. 

If you have any questions about what you can add-on to your pilot certificate, you can email us and we can guide you to see what we have to offer.  Send Email.

by Editor

Flight School: Phone 1-626-454-5254


Address: 4233 Santa Anita Ave. #13 El Monte, California 91731 USA

I don’t live in Southern California/USA. Do you offer any housing or accommodation?

February 10, 2010

NO / YES, Now we do.We will be more than happy to recommend motels and hotels in the vicinity of El Monte Airport. However, we do not offer housing for non-local trainees at this time. We now do provide housing and/or accommodation for your stay during your flight training at the flight school.

Flight Training in El Monte, California 91731
Flight Training in La Verne, California 91750
go to Customer Reviews

Part 141 and Part 61 Flight School
Universal Air Academy (Los Angeles California USA)
4233 Santa Anita Ave. Unit#13
El Monte, CA 91731 USA

I’m not familiar with the local streets in the vicinity of El Monte Airport and the tower told me to “turn base at Lower Azusa.” What is “Lower Azusa?” Is it the name of a street?

February 10, 2010

YES— Lower Azusa is a road just north of the field that runs east and west. If you are suggested to “turn base over Lower Azusa,” that’s what they mean.

I am a private pilot certificate holder and I am thinking of building up flight time towards my commercial rating. Can I rent a helicopter?

February 10, 2010

YES— If you have not enrolled in our training program, you will be required to have an aircraft check out. Usually, the check out will consist of a minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour flight.

How is the weather and winds at El Monte? Will I be able to practice in calm wind when I start my flight training?

February 9, 2010

YES— For initial training El Monte is the BEST airport. You can check the weather for all the airports in the LA Basin in the morning. The winds are nice and calm and the sky conditions are usually great or fair for training. In the afternoon the winds will pick up gradually just enough to enhance the training. Elsewhere, you would always have to be blown around by the wind and not understand if it you or the wind that’s flying the aircraft.

How far is the practice area? Am I going to be wasting time to fly to a practice area to ge

February 9, 2010

NO— Our location is the BEST in California for Basic to Advanced training. Our practice area is ONLY 4 minutes from the airport and that’s the closest it can ever get!!! Most of the training can be done in the airport and in the practice area.

I have a couple of demo flights at different flight schools. Can I still get a demo flight at your flight school to evaluate which flight school is the best for me?

February 9, 2010

YES—We are here to serve our customers whenever you are ready to start. Check out a couple of flight schools before you start. Do your research. That will help you start to learn about various airports in the local area of Los Angeles. Every time you walk into a flight school(FBO), you might see common books that pilots refer to or somebody might show you what a “pilot’s lounge” looks like or what a flight planning room or a computer to check weather looks like! You are learning already by doing your research! Go see what is out there and start to familiarize yourself with General Aviation.

I have a passenger. Do you have a headset that I can borrow?

February 9, 2010

YES— We do have headsets for rental.

I have not flown during nighttime for over 90 days and I am planning to carry passengers. Can one of your instructors fly with me to practice a couple of takeoffs and landings?

February 9, 2010

YES— Don’t be shy or hesitate to ask for an instructor to come on-board as another set of eyes just in case you really do need them. Because you will be very sorry if you didn’t have them when you needed it. It is not mandatory, but it is strongly recommended to fly with an instructor on-board.